There are three drivetrain configurations available for the 2013 Compass: front-wheel drive (4x2), Freedom Drive I™ on-demand, full-time active 4WD with LOCK mode and Freedom Drive II® full-time, active 4WD system with Off-Rode mode and Trail Rated® capability.
Jeep® vehicles are heavily tested to prove off-road capability, and the distinct Trail Rated badge is the outward symbol that testifies to this.
All Jeep Trail Rated vehicles are designed to perform in a variety of off-road conditions identified by five performance categories:
- Ground clearance
- Water fording+
Feature AvailabilitySelect model for specs:
- Trail Rated®
- Freedom-Drive I™ 4WD
- Freedom-Drive II® Off-Road Group (requires CVT2L automatic transmission)
- Two-Wheel Drive
- 4WD LOCK Mode
- 4X4 equipped models
- 4X4 equipped models
Trail Rated® Overview
- All-Weather Capability Group
Being prepared can make all the difference. For all-weather, all-surface capability — choose Compass 4x4's available All-Weather Capability Group. This full-feature package was designed to help combat wet, mud and cold climates so you can confidently pick up the kids from school come snow, ice or hard rain.
Components of the system include:
- Goodyear 17-inch all-terrain tires: all-weather traction with sporty outline white letters
- All-season floor mats for mud, snow, slush, sand or boot tread souvenirs
- Engine block heater preheats the engine for improved warm-up time and cold-start fuel consumption
- Tow hooks can be used to help a fellow motorist out of a snowy ditch
- Daytime running headlamps (high beam) are a proven method to help reduce accidents
- Off-road specific fascia design maximizes your approach angle
- Freedom Drive II® Off-Road Group
The Trail Rated® Freedom-Drive II® Off-Road Group gives Compass the off-road capability to take on moderate off-road situations, including steep grades, occasional wheel lift and rock or log climbing. The Freedom Drive II® Off-Road Group gives Compass Trail Rated® capability to take on unexpected and tougher off-road situations, including steep grades, deeper snow or mud than the base Freedom Drive I™ 4WD system was designed to handle. The Freedom-Drive II® Off-Road Group includes:
- Freedom Drive II® 4WD system (requires CVT2L automatic transmission — with 4WD drive Off-Road and LOCK modes)
- 140-amp alternator
- Brake Lock Differential
- Fuel tank skid plate shield
- Trans / Engine oil pan skid plate
- 17-inch aluminum wheels (Sport)
- All-season floor mats
- Hill Descent Control
- Hill Start Assist
- Goodyear all-terrain tires
- Tow hooks
- Engine oil cooler
- Driver seat height adjuster seat
- Trailer tow wiring harness
- Full-size spare tire
- Trail Rated® badge
- Bright exhaust tip
- Freedom Drive I™ 4WD
The Compass state-of-the-art Freedom Drive I™ active full-time 4WD system anticipates the need for added traction on- and off-road and responds to wheel slippage automatically to help ensure you have a safe, secure and carefree driving experience.
The 4WD system features an Electromagnetic Controlled Coupling, which constantly monitors wheel slippage and transfers torque to the axle that can use it most. During high-traction driving, like on the highway, the system transfers virtually no torque to the rear axle for improved fuel economy+ but instantly transfers torque to the rear wheels when conditions call for it. A 4WD LOCK mode helps when things get a little tougher yet.
- Two-Wheel Drive
You can feel confident while driving Compass in all weather conditions with the trusty two-wheel-drive system which features traction control and delivers a stable driving experience whether you're driving through snow, mud or whatever Mother Nature throws at you.
Added Jeep® vehicle capability is evident in Compass with up to 9.1 inches of ground clearance, a 29.6-degree approach angle, a 23.6-degree breakover angle and a 31.2-degree departure angle, with P215/65/R17 tires.
- 4WD Lock
Four-wheel-drive Compass models with Freedom Drive I™ or Freedom-Drive II® feature 4WD LOCK — for maximum traction in the most adverse conditions. 4WD LOCK is activated by lifting the chromed T-bar handle in the console. The four-wheel-drive “LOCK” mode is recommended for deep snow, deep sand and other low-traction surfaces.
Both the standard full-time and LOCK modes include many standard Safety & Security features including:
- Brake Traction Control
- Driver-controlled three-mode Electronic Stability Control+
- Brake Assist
- Electronic Roll Mitigation+
- Antilock Brake System with terrain sense.